HOMESTEAD – AUSTRALIAN SNOWY MOUNTAINS, 1915
A wide tableau: a single-story timber homestead dwarfed by craggy, snow-capped mountains and a moody Park sky. Pale, alpine light touches green, mauve, gunmetal grey. We move in on the house slowly, in to the three human figures who are at the front of the house – flanked on one side by a chestnut FOAL, and on the other by a KELPIE: a mismatched coat of arms. The tableau is captured in slow motion, movement slurred, like aquarium creatures.
Foal, a beautiful multi-award winning short film (please see list below) was shot in Canberra’s Namadgi National Park, at the historic Orroral Homestead. It is an amazing location, and an experience where shooting amongst kangaroos, and other Australian wildlife on a daily basis, will never be forgotten.
Hair, make-up and special effects by me.
Foal can be viewed on ABC’s iView
Foal is a Multi-Award winning Short Film
- Best Foreign Short – Festival Honours – Newport Beach International Film Festival (2016)
- Platinum Remi Award – WorldFest Houston (2016)
- Official Selection – Flickerfest (2016)
- Official Selection – St. Kilda Film Festival (2016)
- Official Selection – Cannes Cinema Antipodes AFTRS Showcase (2016)
- Official Selection – Poitiers International Film Festival (2015)
- ADG Award Nomination (2015)
- AWGIE Award Nomination (2015)
- AFTRS Kenneth Myer Award for Exceptional Talent (2014)
Director/Writer: Vanessa Gazy
Co-Producers: Ciara Hehir, Lyn Norfor
Aurora: Tess Haubrich
Thomas: Geoff Morrell
Joe: Ben Hoetjes
Annie: Lola Bennett
Photograph Credit: Martin Ollman
Hair, Make-Up + Special Effects Artist: Veronica Colvin